Ka Lima is unusual in the non-profit sector in that we are a working agency, earning over half of our operating budget through our own work contracts. Diversified income sources reflect our mission of self-reliance, balanced with state and community support. Our income can be divided up into three categories, which are:
- Service Contracts (63%) – revenues generated by our agency-run grounds and custodial services.
- State Purchase of Service (POS) Contracts (31%) – annual bid for State funds allocated to specific vocational rehabilitation and Medicaid Waiver programs.
- Private Fundraising (6%) – Trusts and Foundations, special events, and an annual mail drive.
We need helping hands, too. Because Ka Lima O Maui, a 501 (c)3 non-profit agency, is not a member of a national organization such as United Way, we truly rely on support from our community. Our annual fundraising events account for a crucial percentage of our annual operating budget. Here’s how you can get involved:
- Annual Golf Tournament: Last weekend of February at The Dunes at Maui Lani
- Fund Drive: Mailed annually in November
- Beneficiary of the Sentry Tournament of Champions in January in Kapalua
- 100 Holes of Golf: Participants raise pledges to play in a golf day that lasts from sunrise to sunset
- Maui Hotel Association Charity Walk: Ka Lima staff and clients raise pledges and participate in the annual walk
Due to the efforts of Ka Lima, my sister Cleo developed a sense of self-worth. Ka Lima was her world and she was so proud to show me around her workplace and to introduce me to her co-workers. I am a proud supporter!